Sunday, August 23, 2020

The game that started me on this weird journey

So, my VSF journey started with this book. To be clear, I had read most every Edgar Rice Burroughs book, but they were romantic adventure books to me, nothing more. Space 1889 introduced me to the idea of Victorian science fiction, a place of fantastic inventions, journeys to exciting exotic locations, interplanetary travel in preposterous mechanical conveyances. All this of course with a military slant!

 

This book in particular, brought in the idea of colonial expansion, and war, on an interplanetary level.

A relatively simple game, with scaled down units, and a great large scale skirmish flavour.

Colonial warfare never really appealed to me, right or wrong, I just never saw the fun in it. But in Space 1889 the possibility of European nations engaging in conflict with each other, and with the inhabitants of these distant planets. It appealed to me, as while the Martians may have only had (at least initially) muzzle loading smoothbore muskets, they  did have flying ships! I figured this evened up the odds a bit.



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment