Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Recent VSF action

 

British & Prussian forces square off against each other while a melee continues on the hill between reservists & some steam powered jump troops

So, we tried out the old Valor & Flesh & Steel rules by Bob Charrette, it went well. Unlike most of my games this was not set on Mars, but somewhere in Europe. An Anglo-Franco force went up against a Prussian force augmented by some American equipment. Basically I fielded what I could for British and Prussian forces and filled in with extra stuff from other factions. It was a meeting engagement with objectives placed in each opponent's side of the table.

Canadian & Scottish troops, supported by automated M.I.M.E.s & a light MG tractor

It only took 3-4 turns to play out, but that took a few hours as we were learning the rules. The rules themselve are a kind of difficult. They are not the best organized and I spent the week leading up to the game consolidating all the information that I could into a coherent format. There is just so much information in the rulebook much of it scattered throughout that it takes a few readings to find everything.

A bold cavalry charge right in front of the enemy, thankfully the enemy had already activated & could do nothing to stop them!

I made a few adjustments to the game. I altered the weapon ranges down to encourage closer action, and I got rid of the use of a deck of cards for fate numbers and damage charts, using D12s instead. I did keep a deck for peril checks but I will replace that with D12s as well. Oh and I also made the power of weapons somewhat variable by using an old fashioned average die with negative or positive modifiers. It allows for some variation when checking for armour penetration.

I will be posting an AAR on the main page soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment