So, I tried this game out solo a couple of time over the last few weeks, but this past Friday I suckered I mean invited two fellow gamers over to give it a proper test.
It was a standard patrol, with both players on the same side vs the system (nominally run by me)
| Two units of Canadians |
| Two Martian sepoy units |
So two commanders each with two units on patrol looking for the enemy in rough terrain. They also were to fire the village.
| Some of the potential foes for the British to encounter |
The sepoys units found the enemy pretty fast. Two units of musket armed natives appeared on the main hill. These were followed quickly by two unit of fanatics. Meanwhile the Canadians thought they might have found some natives, but it turned out to be a false alarm.
One unit of musket men took the hill and rained fire down on the advancing Canadians, while on their left flank the fanatics quickly charged and engaged the sepoy troops. It was a bloody melee that saw sepoy and a fanatic unit destroyed and the other units severely weakened. As for the fire fight, the Canadians emerge triumphant, even after one of the units had to turn away to fight off the remaining fanatics who had just routed the remaining sepoy unit.
In the end the last remaining native unit quit the field leaving it in the hands of the Canadians.
I had some issues with the rules. It certainly was a quick game but it felt chaotic. I understand what the rules are trying to do, the whole reaction system, but somehow it just did not feel right to me. The group agreed that the system makes sense for skirmish gaming, and I may try a game of All things zombie to give it a test, but for unit VSF action, I am afraid my search continues for the right game.
Up next, a return to G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.
PS sorry for the lack of 'action' photos I was too busy trying to figure out all the reaction rolls.
| More troops to get on the battlefield, some time soon hopefully |

No comments:
Post a Comment