Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Dystopian Wars a brief overview


                            For me, this was the game of grand scale Victorian Science run amok!   


I confess, I have a weak spot for zeppelins. Add a landing strip onto of a zeppelin, and, well,  you  have my attention. It is this image that got me interested in this rule system, but it was the diversity of equipment, the multitude of nations, the painting and gaming possibilities that hooked me. 




 

The game was/is fun. Over the years I have collected a substantial amount of figures, many shelves full, all too little of it painted! Throughout those years I have also picked up the various editions of the rules.

Somehow Spartan Games managed to produce quite a few 1st edition version. The first 2 above, have different copyright dates, and are slightly different from each other, but still show as 1st ed. The last one above at least indicates on the cover that it is 1.1.


These are both 2.0 edition books. The left hand one is a softcover, less fluffy version, the one on the right is 2-3 times the size and hard cover.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spartan games also brought out other versions of the game, in an attempt to, in the case of Armoured Clash, encourage larger forces, or as in Fleet action, quicker games.

I have not done much with my Dystopian Wars stuff of late, in part due to the bad feeling from their disastrous Kickstarter campaign of a few years ago which ended in the company collapsing into bankruptcy. It was a horrible debacle, made more egregious by their attempts to solicit more funds post the Kickstarter, when surely the writing was on the wall that the company was doomed.

Now Warcradle has picked up the rights to the line and rules. They have been working on a new edition for quite some time. Currently they have a Beta version of the rules, complete with unit information, posted on their site here. I have not tried the new rules out, but I did download them, and they are on my list of rules to review.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment